Hi, George,

Yes, network operators have the freedom to plan the address in their prefer
ways. There are many different ways to organize address schemas. Different
network operators (including both ISPs and enterprises) has various
considerations. Some consideration may be important for one network
operator while makes much less sense for others. Why rule out others
possibilities or mechanism by saying I have reasons to do things in my way?
There are ISPs and enterprises who have chosen to embed their cared
semantics into address and organize network or routing polices accordingly.
We need to document this and give the analysis we could.

Cheers,

Sheng

Sheng Jiang 蒋胜