----- Original Message -----
> From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
> To: manning bill <bmann...@isi.edu>
> Cc: ipv6@ietf.org; "v6...@ietf.org WG" <v6...@ietf.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, 4 June 2013 6:27 AM
> Subject: Re: [v6ops] Could IPv6 address be more than
        locator?//draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix-03

> On 04/06/2013 03:44, manning bill wrote:

> one is actually using.
>>>  Now *that* would cause a nice fragmented DFZ...
>>>  Sander
>>>

>>  I'm going to inject a route.  One route.  why do you care if its  a /9,
> a /28, a /47, or a /121?
>
> I've heard tell that there are routers that are designed to handle
> prefixes up to /64 efficiently but have a much harder time with
> prefixes longer than that, as a reasonable engineering trade-off.
> Not being a router designer, I don't know how true this is.

"right-sizing" prefixes to the number of hosts being used also has a cost,
which is the constant cost of on-going adjustment of prefix size, including
complete renumbering of the subnet if the specific prefix cannot be expanded
further, and far more complex address space management. This is a cost was
initially hidden in IPv4 by the fact that it became essential in IPv4 due to
the size of IPv4's address space. RFC1918 and NAT subsequently predominantly
eliminated it, by providing plenty of address space, and preventing that
address space from being reachable from the Internet, the likely source of
attacks on it.

The issue with IPv6's large prefixes isn't really the specific size of the
prefix, it is the exploitable state that is created during neighbor presence
discovery. If the exploitability of this state is reduced, or better yet
eliminated, via a host/address registration protocol, the amount of dark space
announced doesn't matter.

Regards,
Mark.