On 6/3/13 10:04 PM, Ivan Pepelnjak wrote:
Did you read the part about DC switches in general and Nexus 5500 in particular?
Nexus 5500 is not a particularly capable layer 3 switch, due to the magic of cam partitioning it supports only 128 LPM (longer than 64bit route) entries for v6 so you'd better be prepared to summarize. Lets go back to the statement...

    On 6/3/13 3:59 PM, Andrew McGregor wrote:
    That's completely true; many switch chips cannot route on longer
than
   /64 prefixes, so attempting to do so starts to either heat up the
   software slow path, or consume ACL entries, or is simply not
   supported at all. While this is arguably a bug, it is also pretty
   much ubiquitous in the current generation of ethernet switches,
   which are the basis for the majority of routers.

none of those statements are true when applied to the nexus 5500.

-----Original Message-----
From: joel jaeggli [mailto:joe...@bogus.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 6:27 AM
To: Ivan Pepelnjak
Cc: Andrew McGregor; Brian E Carpenter; v6...@ietf.org WG; ipv6@ietf.org;
manning bill
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Could IPv6 address be more than locator?//draft-
jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix-03

On 6/3/13 7:11 PM, Ivan Pepelnjak wrote:
Read the recent "p2p /64" thread of ipv6-ops cluenet mailing list
You are refering to:

http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2013-June/thread.html

I  stand by my statement...

The inability to properly apply ACLs on the 3750 for routes longer than
/64 on some 3750 variants is a problem. A route is not an ACL. Using an
mock modifed eui64 address for your loopback address so that your control-
plane acl works properly seems asine I will give you that.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release
/12.2_55_se/commmand/reference/cli2.html#wp11682185

cam tables are designed or partitioned in general to favor ipv4 route
count over ipv6, while route table size is impacted that does not affect
throughput.

=====
Mistyped and autocorrected on a clunky virtual keyboard