* Fred Baker (fred)

> On Jun 22, 2013, at 2:29 AM, Tore Anderson <t...@fud.no> wrote:
>> - When a SIIT translator receives an IPv4 packet with DF=0 that
>> would result in an IPv6 packet that would exceed the IPv6 link MTU,
>> it will split the original packet into IPv6 fragments.
>
> It *could* fragment the IPv4 packet and send it in two unfragmented
> IPv6 packets.

Wouldn't doing IPv4 fragmentation before translation to IPv6 be
logically identical to this other case I mentioned?

>> - When a SIIT translator receives an IPv4 fragment, it will translate
>> this into one or more IPv6 fragments.

I can't see how simply omitting the Fragmentation header in the IPv6
output could work here, as the node receiving those two unfragmented
IPv6 packets would see the first one containing a truncated L4 payload,
while the second one would be just garbage as it doesn't include a L4
header.

Tore