On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:36:51 +0000
Christian Huitema <huit...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> > I also believe that FreeBSD has done the best it can, and reasonably so. It
> > is debatable whether a ICMP6 PTB message should apply to all currently open
> > TCP sessions to the same destination, as I wonder about multi-path TCP and
> > path diversity here.
>
> There are certainly different ways to implement that, without inserting a
> fragmentation header. For example, if the lower layer knows that the packet
> is too big, it could send the local equivalent of "ICMP too big" back to the
> TCP layer.

This certainly seems like a bug, no matter how you slice it:

* If the implementation wanted to allow for different MTUs on a per-flow
  basis (reasonable given the prevalence of NATs), it should go ahead
  and send a full-sized packet for the second flow, and find out what
  the MTU is.

* If the implementation wanted to efficiently use the first Packet Too
  Big it got to fix all possible flows, TCP should re-segment the data
  in the second flow, rather than allowing fragmentation.

I can't think of a case in which it would be better for TCP to fragment
rather than re-segment (since it's a lot more efficient to recover from
a dropped segment than a dropped fragment), but I'm sure I will as soon
as I hit send.

Kevin
k...@patheticgeek.net