The case usually mentioned is in firewalls, under a policy that targets
reassembly attacks. If system A sends a fragment but not all fragments of a
message to system B, some of system B's resources are consumed until a
timeout-or-something occurs. Dropping fragments prevents that.

Personally, I think the right solution is not to drop fragments, but impose
limits on storage for reassembly. Fragments arriving in B should consume at
most some amount of storage for some amount of time; if the time elapses, one
discards the stale fragments, and if a new fragment arrives when resources are
maxed out, one discards the oldest fragment present (LRU). We can argue ad
infinitum on the amount of storage and time; I actually don't think the exact
numbers are important. The time should be some multiple of the largest RTT the
system sees, which is probably on the order of hundreds of milliseconds to
seconds, and the storage quantum that is reasonable is probably measured in
kilobytes. Beyond orders of magnitude, it's cook's choice.

Listing the folks that have that firewall rule - I can't say. There seems to be
a widely-held belief that the people exist.