----- Original Message -----
        draft-bonica-6man-frag-deprecate-00.txt

> On Jun 25, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Randy Bush <ra...@psg.com> wrote:
>
>>  in reality, you can not count on pmtud working
>
> One of these days, I'll understand why Linux/FreeBSD/Windows/Apple don't
> implement RFC 4821.

Actually, Linux does, it just needs to be switched on in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/
tcp_mtu_probing - INTEGER Controls TCP Packetization-Layer Path MTU Discovery.
Takes three values: 0 - Disabled 1 - Disabled by default, enabled when an ICMP
black hole detected 2 - Always enabled, use initial MSS of tcp_base_mss.
I think Windows also implements something similar:
"
Troubleshooting PMTU Black Hole Routers"

One of the issues with conventional ICMP PTB based PMTUD is the default rate
limits on ICMP messages on broadband routers with PPPoE subscribers i.e.
dumbell [1500][1492][1500] MTUs, slowing down PMTUD. Upping the limit on ICMP
PTBs is an obscure parameter to have to remember to change, and it isn't clear
exactly what to change it to - IIRC, the value I've used in the past is 1000/s
up from 10/s. RFC4821 would be nice because it would avoid control plane
processing that ICMP based PMTUD causes.

Regards,
Mark.