If we accept that 1280 is the only non-broken MTU for IPv6, I share
James' fear that this would spell doom for IPv6 on the broad Internet
and land us in a world where broad IPv6 adoption stalls out and IPv4
ith CGN dominates.  The current reality is that many hosts do have
1500 byte MTUs (as Tore observed with many of the top Alexa sites, and
presumably also with the default configuration for many hosts out
there).  We need to make sure that this current reality keeps working.

If content providers need to drop their IPv6 MTU/MSS down below that
of IPv4 (eg, to 1280), this has the potential to be enough of a
performance difference (even a few percent matters!) to cause many
content providers to hold off indefinitely on dual-stacking.  If large
ISPs or enterprises need to find some way to get their end users down
to lower MTUs or need to wait for some OS updates to do some other
form of PMTU discovery, then IPv6 is DOA for them as well and they'll
have a good excuse to not roll out out.

As such, I agree with other comments that it's important
to re-emphasize that any environment that both blocks ICMPv6 PTB
and at the same time doesn't allow 1500 byte packets through is broken
and needs to get fixed.  This also means that anyone deploying
or implementing a tunnel (or VPN) needs to carefully consider
how they'll deal with this.

For fragments themselves, would it make more sense to constrain
their usage rather than deprecate them entirely?  For example,
express that certain headers may not appear in fragments,
and also perhaps express that overlapping fragments or overly
spase fragments are likely to be dropped?

In looking at a global end-user facing HTTP (TCP) environment,
I'm seeing around 0.0005% of the packets arrive as fragments
which sounds similar to some of the other numbers on this thread.

     Erik