Hi,

It doesn't have to be that way. With SEAL, packets up to 1500
get through no matter what, and larger packets also get through
if the path MTU is sufficiently large.

> The current reality is that many hosts do have
> 1500 byte MTUs (as Tore observed with many of the top Alexa sites, and
> presumably also with the default configuration for many hosts out
> there).  We need to make sure that this current reality keeps working.
>
> If content providers need to drop their IPv6 MTU/MSS down below that
> of IPv4 (eg, to 1280), this has the potential to be enough of a
> performance difference (even a few percent matters!) to cause many
> content providers to hold off indefinitely on dual-stacking.  If large
> ISPs or enterprises need to find some way to get their end users down
> to lower MTUs or need to wait for some OS updates to do some other
> form of PMTU discovery, then IPv6 is DOA for them as well and they'll
> have a good excuse to not roll out out.
>
> As such, I agree with other comments that it's important
> to re-emphasize that any environment that both blocks ICMPv6 PTB
> and at the same time doesn't allow 1500 byte packets through is broken
> and needs to get fixed.  This also means that anyone deploying
> or implementing a tunnel (or VPN) needs to carefully consider
> how they'll deal with this.

Right. Tunnels over IPv6 absolutely require some form of
frag/reass to meet the IPv6 minMTU of 1280. SEAL goes it one
better and ensures that everything up to 1500 makes it through.

> For fragments themselves, would it make more sense to constrain
> their usage rather than deprecate them entirely?  For example,
> express that certain headers may not appear in fragments,
> and also perhaps express that overlapping fragments or overly
> spase fragments are likely to be dropped?

I think the question has been raised as to whether standard IPv6
frag/reass can be re-worked now that it is already in widespread
deployment. SEAL fixes these and other issues and also has the
advantage that it doesn't yet have a widespread deployed base.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com