Hi Ole,

> in my understanding the 1280 minimum MTU for IPv6 was already chosen to
> accommodate nested tunnels.

Right, but..

> the expectation made, I believe, was that native links support at least
> an MTU of 1500 bytes,

But, that expectation went out the window at the same time the IPv6
minMTU was set to 1280 - so now 1280 is all that can be expected.

So, without fragmentation, when the tunnel ingress receives a 1280
packet, it emits a (1280+HLEN) packet. If that packet is dropped
at a link that configures a 1280 MTU, then it simply black holes.

> allowing 220 bytes for tunnel encap (5 IPv6 headers).

Tunnels within tunnels presents an additional pain point, but the
plain truth is that IPv6 links only need to configure a 1280 MTU;
not a 1500.

> you want to avoid reassembly at tunnel endpoints, if you care about
> performance that is.

Unfortunately, reassembly is absolutely necessary if the tunnel is
configured over a path that contains at least one 1280 link (see above).

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com