Hi Ron,

Fragmentation at a tunnel ingress router is unavoidable. Proof:

  - a tunnel configures a 1280 MTU
  - When its packets are encapsulated they emerge as (1280 + HLEN)
    (the length of the encapsulating headers)
  - the tunnel crosses a 1280 link somewhere in the path to the egress
  - the packet is dropped with a PTB signal sent back
  - the ingress now has two choices: 1) start fragmenting, 2) quit.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com