On Jul 10, 2013, at 08:49 , Ronald Bonica <rbon...@juniper.net> wrote:
> [...]
> Probably, the best alternative is for the tunnel ingress router to tunnel
> ingress router to discover the PMTU to the egress. When the tunnel ingress
> router receives a packet that is so large that it cannot be forwarded through
> the tunnel, it discards the packet and sends an ICMP PTB to the packet's
> originator. The packet's originator then modifies its sending behavior based
> upon its new estimate of the PMTU associated with the destination.
> [...]

ICMPv6 packet too big errors are unreliable on the real-world Internet.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I will: I look forward to reviewing a
proposal to update to Generic Packet Tunneling in IPv6 [RFC 2473] for
implementing tunnel path MTU discovery at the encapsulation layer [c.f. RFC
4821].

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
core os networking