Doug,

It might be interesting to revisit what we mean by deprecating IPv6
fragmentation....

It means that the IETF will not approve any new protocols that rely upon IPv6
fragmentation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old protocols will continue to emit IPv6 fragments. In order to achieve
backwards compatibility, new IPv6 implementations will MUST continue to support
reassembly of incoming fragments. New IPv6 implementations MAY even support
transmission of IPv6 fragments, if they want to support legacy applications
that rely on the transmission of IPv6 fragments.

Network operators will make up their own minds as to whether they will forward
IPv6 fragments. They do this today. The draft offers no guidance, one way or
the other.

Brian Carpenter recommended some clarifying text regarding what the
recommendation to deprecate actually means. You will see this in an updated
version of the draft in the next day or so.

                                            Ron