On Jul 30, 2013, at 5:19 AM, Randy Bush <ra...@psg.com> wrote:

>> At the mike a moment ago, I referred to an existing formal definition
>> of "deprecate".
>
> welll, you keep saying it is a formal definition, implying that it
> applies to all uses of the term.  but, in fact, the reference is merely
> how it is used in some snmp glorp.

A example of deprecation that is close to what we are discussing regarding
fragmentation can be found in:

RFC3879  Deprecating Site Local Addresses

   4.  Deprecation

   This document formally deprecates the IPv6 site-local unicast prefix
   defined in [RFC3513], i.e., 1111111011 binary or FEC0::/10.  The
   special behavior of this prefix MUST no longer be supported in new
   implementations.  The prefix MUST NOT be reassigned for other use
   except by a future IETF standards action.  Future versions of the
   addressing architecture [RFC3513] will include this information.

   However, router implementations SHOULD be configured to prevent
   routing of this prefix by default.

Bob