Hi Ran,

>    Deployments using tunnels, whether IP-in-IP, GRE, IPsec tunnel-mode,
>    or some other IETF specified technology, are NOT going away.

Yes, this is the same as I and others have been saying all along.

> If the physical MTU is 1280, then the tunnel MTU will be smaller.

Not allowed; the tunnel MUST be able to do a minimum 1280.

>   Nested tunnels are not unusual and can be difficult to detect
>   absent a working PMTUD mechanism (whatever that might be).

Agree that nested tunnels are not unusual and are in fact in
common widespread deployment. But, there is no need to "detect"
them from the source host's perspective as long as they honor
the IPv6 1280 minMTU. That means that tunnels MUST be prepared
to do a small amount of fragmentation and reassembly when
necessary.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com