On 01  Aug 2013, at 20:35 , Mark Andrews wrote:
> And if we generate appoximately equal sized fragments
> rather than 1280 byte fragments + a runt fragment,
> tunnels would need to fragment less often.  Your 1500 byte
> UDP payloads become 2 x 750 byte fragments which can be
> encapsulated multiple times.
>
> It doesn't take a lot of math to work out what size
> to fragment at to produce optimal fragment sizes
> for a given MTU.

All of the above seems like practical advice that
should be considered for inclusion in this document.

(NB: I still would like to see C. M. Heard's ideas
explored in more detail by the IETF as they remain
interesting and possibly very useful even if the
above suggestions are implemented and deployed. :-)

Yours,

Ran