Hi Ran,

Thanks for the review. Comments inline.....

Agree. I think that we should go with Brian's proposed title.

> One might also consider a title that reframed it in terms of advice to
> application designers.
>
> > Deprecation
> > ===========
> > All instances of the word "deprecate" should be removed from the
> > document.
> >
> >    Therefore:
> > -- The document should not request any IANA actions
> > -- The document doesn't UDPDATE 2460
> > -- The document doesn't need to be PS. BCP is good enough
>
> Agree with all of the above.
> Either BCP or Informational is fine.

Agree

> > Recommendation
> > ===============
> > The Recommendation section should be renamed "Conclusion".
> > It should include the following statements:
> >
> > - The IETF SHOULD NOT standardize an new protocols that
> >   rely on IPv6 fragmentation
>
> I think we should allow the IESG/IETF more leeway to handle situations
> currently unforeseen.
>
> So I would suggest an edit along these lines:
>
> s/rely on IPv6 fragmentation/rely on IPv6 fragmentation if a practical
> alternative to fragmentation exists for that protocol./

Also agree. Furthermore, we can now make clear that the two following
statements regarding *New* applications offer practical alternatives. These are
a) PMTUD/PLMTUD and b) short PDUs

> > ---*New* applications and transport layer protocols SHOULD support
> > effective PLMTUD [RFC4821] since ICMP-based PMTUD [RFC1981] is
> > unreliable
>
> Neither approach is 100% reliable in the most general case.
>
> So, I'd suggest that new apps and transport-layer protocols SHOULD
> support both PLMTUD and ICMP-based PMTUD.  Supporting both enhances the
> chances that some form of Path MTU Discovery will work for a given
> session.

How about MUST support PMTUD and SHOULD support PLMTUD, just in case ICMP PTB
is filtered. This statement would make most currently deployed TCP stacks
compliant. So, if a new protocol runs over TCP, it is compliant.

> > --*New* applications or transport layer protocols that cannot support
> > effective PMTUD MUST NOT in any circumstances send IPv6 packets that
> > exceed the IPv6 minimum MTU of 1280 bytes.
>
> I would change s/MUST NOT/SHOULD NOT/.
>
> I'd delete the phrase "of 1280 bytes" as well, mainly because it is
> redundant, and partly so that this BCP would not need updating if the
> 1280 number changed in future.  (It has already changed from
> unspecified to 576 to 1280 over time.)

I think that MUST is OK, so long as we are clear that we are talking about an
application for which IP fragmentation has already been ruled out.

> This document is all good advice, but I know of multiple IPv6
> deployments where PMTUD works quite well.  If an application is
> deployed in such an environment, and knows that it is (e.g. some
> locally-developed application as different from a standard application
> such as HTTP), then the application ought to be able to use the IETF
> standards-track PMTUD mechanism without violating other IETF standards-
> track specifications.

Ack.

> > - Legacy applications and transport layer protocols will continue
> >   to generate fragments
>
> Since this is basically a document with lots of good advice, I'd also
> add some very clear and specific recommendations that middleboxes and
> firewalls:
>
> A) MUST NOT block ICMP-based PMTUD messages where the indicated
>    link MTU is equal-to or greater-than the standard IPv6 minimum
>    link MTU.
>
> B) SHOULD NOT block ICMP-based PMTUD messages where the indicated
>    link MTU is less than the standard IPv6 minimum link MTU in order
>    to avoid breaking real-world nested tunnel deployments using
>    IETF standards-track technologies.

I would say that ICMP PTB messages MUST never be blocked, even if the MTU is
small. RFC 2460 specifies one corner case where the MTU can be small.

>    Deployments using tunnels, whether IP-in-IP, GRE, IPsec tunnel-mode,
>    or some other IETF specified technology, are NOT going away.  If
>    the physical MTU is 1280, then the tunnel MTU will be smaller.
>    Nested tunnels are not unusual and can be difficult to detect
>    absent a working PMTUD mechanism (whatever that might be).
>
>    Tunnel-based deployments are just as real, and just as unlikely
>    to disappear, as the current issues with PMTUD deployments.  The
>    document should be clear about this.

Yes. Currently the section on Tunnels contains one word of text, "TBD". I will
fix that in the next revision.

> > --- In the interest of backwards compatibility, IPv6 stacks and
> > forwarding nodes MUST continue to support inbound fragmented IPv6
> > packets as specified in [RFC2460].
>
> Yes.  In particular, receiving hosts will need to continue to support
> IPv6 fragment reassembly for sessions terminating at such hosts.

Agree

> > - Implementers and operators need to be aware that on many paths
> > through the Internet, IPv6 fragmentation will fail. Legacy
> > applications and transport layer protocols that do not conform to the
> previous paragraph can expect connectivity failures as a result.
>
> s/can expect/might experience/

OK

                        Ron