Hi Ron,

On 21/08/2013 01:33, Ronald Bonica wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for your review of all three documents. The following is some gentle
> pushback.

> There is no real solution to the long header problem. The best that we can do
> is to put a stake in the ground, saying that implementations should forward
> packets with header chains up to X bytes. There is no need to UPDATE RFC
> 2460, or to publish a PS document. A BCP is good enough.

Architecturally, we have (I think) decided to say that header chains MUST NOT
be fragmented (this draft) and SHOULD be forwarded
(draft-ietf-6man-ext-transmit).
I'm still a bit leery about making X bytes a rule rather than a health
warning - who knows when someone might come up with a silicon-based solution
that doesn't have an X bytes limitation? A carefully worded BCP that makes
it clear that X bytes is a current engineering limit rather than an
architectural limit seems about right.

Keeping the documents separate provides flexibility for the future, too.

   Brian