I built one of those loops, never got around to making the amplifier though.
I think I have all or most of the parts for it. The loop if constructed
properly does null very well but so do phasers. I've never done a side by
side comparison but I get very good nulls with the Quantum Phaser and it's
very simple, has a gain control for each antenna, a phase relationship
control and a reverse switch. I live approx 200 miles from NY and at night
probably because of both ground wave and sky wave  I sometimes have to
constantly change the balance between antennas on certain stations to
maintain a null. I have the same problem with the loop also. I get much more
gain with the two 400' LW's than with the loop though. There is a horrendous
buzz here between 500 and 580 and I am able to completely null it out

Bob Young
Millbury, Ma
various boatanchors/ 2 400' LW's/ Quantum Phaser