Even though I have not DXed domestic MW signals from here since 1960
(DXed here as a kid), I still know the dial fairly well and don't
have too much difficulty figgerin out where I am on the dial of my
trusty '59.... BUT there are two circumstances where I really need
some outboard help.  The first would be in a contesting situation
where I would be trying to log as many stations as possible as
quickly as possible.  The other situation is where I might want to
monitor a specific GY frequency in the crowded upper end of the dial.
I'd like to know with some certainty that I'm on 1230, not 1240 kHz,
for instance.

One strategy would be to use the local oscillator signal from a
digitally-dialed radio, tuned to the proper offset, as a dial
marker.  I tried that with my Eton e1 as the stalking horse and could
never even hear a local oscillator.  Was I looking in the wrong
place??? does the latest generation of receiver simply not transmit a
LO signal beyond the case???

Another strategy would be to set my analog signal generator at the
proper frequency, say 1230, by using a digitally-dialed radio as a
frequency counter and then tune my trusty '59 to the signal from the
signal generator.

I suppose that a third way would be to pay $100 for the cheapest
digitally dialed signal generator that I saw on ebay, but that is
like trying to kill a fly with a sledge hammer!

Surely somebody out there has some better ideas about this than me.

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)