Hi all,

Now that this topic is already active, here is more:

In a small course here at TUM (http://www4.in.tum.de/lehre/vorlesungen/perlen/SS11/) we are also using jedit exclusively for the first time, and I can confirm the observation that it makes it slightly easier for newbies to get started. In particular, the "How can I copy and paste?", "How do I open a file?" questions all go away, since the editor commands/key sequences are less obscure. There are also less installation issues (we have no virtualbox image, but a custom bundle, which I built from a development version).

Here are two (minor) issues I noticed, which do get in the way and may be easy to fix:

1) Command completion: This may be one of the features that look nice but are useless in practice and often get in the way: Some frequent commands are prefixes of other rather obscure commands, which will then be suggested by the auto-completion: When I type "apply" and pause for a moment to think, the editor suggests "apply_end", which many users don't even know about. This steals (a) the focus, as I cannot move the cursor up/down at this point and (b) my attention.

Another instance, which comes up in an exploratory/teaching context, is the following scenario:

lemma "x = y"        -- some false conjecture
try                  -- see if it "works"
   ^                     -> counterexample found immediately
   cursor is here

At this point I would like to go up and correct the lemma, but I cannot, since the editor suggests "try_methods" as a completion of "try". I have to press escape first.

Of course, in an ideal world, I would not have to type "try" in the first place, but currently this is our way of working.

Suggestion: Simply kill completion of commands (not symbols)???

2) Since entering non-ascii versions of arrows takes two extra keystrokes and some attention, students tend to just use the ascii variants. I don't know if this is good or bad, but when I give them a file for editing that has nice arrows, after editing, it usually has both versions, and I have to explain that they are the same. I principle, this could happen with PG/Emacs too, but it normally wouldn't, because of the automatic substitution.

It is a known issue (if an issue at all) that in Isabelle/jEdit it is
sometimes necessary to cut-and-paste some lines in order to
"synchronize."

This behaviour is indeed getting in the way in practice. It works
according to the "specification" of the editing model, but

What is actually the specification of the editing model? I am just curious here, and if you can explain it quickly, it may give me an intuition of what's happening when something goes "wrong" (i.e., as specified).

Alex