On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 09:23:35PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 5:42 AM Oswald Buddenhagen
<oswald.buddenha...@gmx.de> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 04:52:23AM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 8:28 PM Oswald Buddenhagen
><oswald.buddenha...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> no, you're not. the use of "instead" would make no sense at all if it
>> referred to the same thing.
>
>Not true. If a documentation says I can edit ~/.gitconfig, or
>$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/config instead, does that mean it cannot
>logically refer to the same thing?

of course it does.

We'll have to agree to disagree. ~/.gitconfig and
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/config are semantically the same thing.

that's a plain wrong statement. these are distinct files whose contents are cascaded.

>I can use "begin", or I can use "start" instead. Can they be the same
>thing? Ostensibly yes.

these are obviously synonyms, without semantic difference.

Exactly. In other words: two different ways of saying the same thing.

Just like `Inbox = ~/mail/inbox` and `Path = ~/mail/; MapIndex =
inbox`, which the user would be totally justified in deducing from the
documentation.

no, they wouldn't be. it's only the same thing if you ignore pertinent context. which is something that you seem rather prone to ...

>I explicitly said I used "MapInbox inbox". Does that require
>subfolders?

how would i know? that depends on what *you* need.

Based on the first paragraph on the first message of this thread:

> I have the folling configuration for a local store:
>
>   MaildirStore local
>   Path ~/mail/
>   MapInbox inbox
>   Inbox ~/mail/inbox
>   SubFolders Verbatim

that's a configuration that you declared to not work the way you want, and one that suggests that subfolders are wanted. so if anything, one should draw the opposite conclusion from it than the one you want.

>Can you show me an example of a Maildir store that uses MapInbox
>correctly?

i could, but the point was mostly that one would use it on an IMAP store
instead.

Then what is it doing in "All Stores"? It belongs in "IMAP Stores".

it *does* work for all stores when used correctly. that one would typically have little reason to actually use it is a different matter, and the docu makes the appropriate recommendation.

Or better yet: 1) if users can't seem to understand what it does 2) nobody uses it, and 3) the main developer doesn't even recall what it's for, maybe deprecate it.

i already came to the same conclusion, but i want to extend the Patterns syntax first (see TODO file), so the imap-imap corner case remains covered.