On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 09:57:12AM +0100, Nacho Barrientos wrote:
I was initially suggesting Github sponsors as of today AFAIK they don't
take any fee for 1-to-1 sponsorship and they charge in USD, allowing
non-USD-native donors to work around terrible currency conversion rates
by using platforms like Revolut or Transferwise.

i actually spent quite some time investigating the matter.
the platform as such seems ok. it's claimed to be free for receivers and private donors (which would mean that github/ms cover the payment processing fees). they would make money with corporate donations (which they take a whopping 10% cut from), and possibly with interest they get on the donations they "buffer" (payouts are at most monthly).

a round-trip from euro to euro would be kinda inefficient with "normal" banking (4%-ish loss), as first the donor's card provider would charge, and then stripe would charge the recipient. that's official, see
https://forum.k9mail.app/t/sponsoring-development-of-k9-via-github/972/5
of course, it could be optimized by both ends using revolut or whatever, but figuring out what exactly actually *is* free is a bit tedious.

I don't know if you can use this system if the source code of the project itself is not hosted in Github

i didn't find any such restrictions in the ToS.

There are other options like Liberapay and Patreon but I don't have any
experience using them so I can't give any input.

patreon is expensive-ish - 5%, plus processing fees.
liberapay is free, but again there are processing fees, which they estimate to be 5% on average (they just use paypal or stripe).

I totally understand as well that spending time setting this
up without actually knowing how many people would be willing to get on
board might sound like a waste of time (hence my question to other
fellow users) :)

if i'd count the time spent on just researching this at IT consulting rate, i'd have already spent more than i'll realistically ever earn this way, at least relating to isync. i might still create the account(s), but for now i'm bored of this little crash course in fintech. :'-D