On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 11:19:14AM +0200, sourcefo...@toonn.io wrote:
One bit of trouble I'm having is that
my provider's webmail doesn't show e-mails with the IMAP Deleted tag. So
when NeoMutt tags something as trashed the e-mail is invisible in the
webmail UI, no matter the folder, and mbsync doesn't clear the trashed
flag when moving things to the Trash. Is there a way to do this?

nope, and it would be quite an effort to implement it: the imap spec explicitly asks COPY/MOVE to preserve the flags. so it would have to be an extra step, which is complicated by the fact that the trash is a store-and-forget mailbox as far as isync is concerned.

Another thing is when `Expunge Near` (or Both) is set and there's an
e-mail tagged as Deleted in the remote store, the e-mail either doesn't
seem to be synchronized or it is synchronized and immediately expunged
locally maybe?

the former, which is logically equivalent to the latter.
what else would you expect?

My third problem is I don't understand how to get mbsync to actually expunge mails when Trash is set. [...] should I simply configure my MUAs to move to Trash instead of tagging as trashed, unless an e-mail is in the Trash mailbox already?

yes. note that this is slightly inefficient, as isync has no move detection, so you'd be re-uploading to trash.

I am fairly confused as to what scenarios mbsync's Trash feature caters to if this is the case though.

isync assumes that the trash really is trash and won't be accessed any more (except maybe through some "side channel"), so it's not part of subsequent syncing. that's an optimization vs. a synced "live trash".