Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>       Since Adobe no longer owns PDF (we turned it over to the ISO), there
> will NEVER BE a PDF 1.8.

Hmm... what will the PDF header look like?
Surely there will be some version number?
Will it be something like 1.7.1?

>       Instead, Adobe is following the rules imposed by the ISO which
> enables any developer to "extend" PDF 1.7 (ISO 32000).

OK, even before PDF became an ISO, Adobe had the discipline
to be backward compatible: stuff that works in PDF 1.x also
works in PDF 1.(x + 1). I only hope that there won't be
a proliferation of extensions with a diverging standard as
a result (the Adobe version of PDF 1.7 + Adobe extensions
versus the MS version of PDF 1.7 + MS extensions; yuck!).

I mean: look at what happened with HTML. Sure, you could
write HTML that works on all browsers, but as soon as you
wanted to use some new 'goodie', you had to be extremely
careful to make sure that something you wrote for MSIE
also worked on Netscape (and vice-versa). We don't want
that to happen with PDF, do we? ;-)

> We will be
> publishing our "Adobe Extensions to ISO 32000" documentation as soon
> as we ship, and are also submitting it to the ISO for consideration
> in future versions of ISO 32000.

OK, let me correct myself: I'm looking forward to read the
Adobe Extensions documentation!
br,
Bruno