From: Cameron Laird [claird.visipr...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:45 PM
To: Post all your questions about iText here
Subject: Re: [iText-questions] What action is requred in terms of License

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Paulo Soares
<psoa...@glintt.com<mailto:psoa...@glintt.com>> wrote:
If you're using it in an intranet you don't have to do anything. If you're
exposing the service to the exterior either you provide the source code of your
application or you buy a commercial license.

What does "intranet" mean in this context?  Is a license required if the Web
application is restricted to faculty in a particular department of a particular
university [my speculation:  that is an intranet, and the license requires
nothing further]?  What if such a faculty member reaches the departmental
application from a Web browser at his home off-campus [my speculation:  that is
*not* an intranet, and source-code-or-license is required]?  What if the
departmental application is open to academic collaborators who might
potentially be based anywhere in the (IP-connected) world [my speculation:
that is even less of an intranet, and source-code-or-license is required--but
it's really not very commercial, as the purpose is only to promote academic
research]?

Thank you, Paulo, for your help in these matters.

Aviso Legal:
Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao destinatário. Pode conter
informação confidencial ou legalmente protegida. A incorrecta transmissão desta
mensagem não significa a perca de confidencialidade. Se esta mensagem for
recebida por engano, por favor envie-a de volta para o remetente e apague-a do
seu sistema de imediato. É proibido a qualquer pessoa que não o destinatário de
usar, revelar ou distribuir qualquer parte desta mensagem.

Disclaimer:
This message is destined exclusively to the intended receiver. It may contain
confidential or legally protected information. The incorrect transmission of
this message does not mean the loss of its confidentiality. If this message is
received by mistake, please send it back to the sender and delete it from your
system immediately. It is forbidden to any person who is not the intended
receiver to use, distribute or copy any part of this message.