I didn't understand your requirements fully. But are you trying to achieve
something that the lua program below does:

--IupDialog Example in IupLua
--Creates a simple dialog.

require( "iuplua" )

vbox = iup.vbox {
iup.hbox{
iup.label {title="Label"},
iup.text { border="NO"; value="This is good";
bgcolor=iup.GetGlobal("DLGBGCOLOR"); readonly="YES"; visiblecolumns=30 };
gap=10
}
}
dlg = iup.dialog{vbox; title="Dialog",size="QUARTERxQUARTER"}
dlg:show()

if (iup.MainLoopLevel()==0) then
  iup.MainLoop()
end