De: Richard Stallman <r...@gnu.org>
Enviado: sexta-feira, 5 de junho de 2020 03:17
Para: Ranier Vilela
Cc: arobinso...@cox.net; iup-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Assunto: Re: [Iup-users] Fw:  IUP License Questions

 > > FFTW is GPL, and not can be use with commercial closed products.
  >> MiniLZO is GPL and no can be use with commercial closed produtcs.

>What you say is right in the basic point, but not stated correctly.
>The incorrect aspect is the use of the words "commercial" and
>"closed".
Yes, it's a little confusing.
I understand that there may be a commercial product, with open source.

>It is incorrect to use the word "commercial" here.  The GPL does not
>distinguish between commercial activities and noncommercial acivities,
>except in one very obscure case which does not apply here.

>it is incorrect to use the word "closed" here.  We shun the terms
>"open" or "closed" because we do NOT advocate "open source".  That
>term stands for rejecting our values and principles, so we have never
>advocated it and never will.

>See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>for more explanation of the difference between free software and open
>source.

>The right way to state this basic point is that the GPL permits
>including the GPL-covered code in a larger combined program
>_only provided that_ the larger combined program is, as a whole,
>released under the GPL.

>In particular, to combine a nonfree program with GPL-covered code
>violates the GPL.
Yes, I think we all understand that.
The point here is that IUP project have nothing to do with it all.
After all, who is possibly violating the GPL is the end user of the libraries
(CD and IM).
The IUP project only provides, as a courtesy, the source code of the GPL
libraries to anyone who wants to use it or not, it does not oblige in any way
to use them.
And it is clearly documented, including licenses, in its official
documentation, so that no one is in doubt.

>I don't have time to study the details of this case.
>I can't keep up with my work now.
Anyway, thank you very much for your clarification.

regards,
Ranier Vilela