Given that it's a 32-bit Linux system, you're limited to 4 GB address space in theory which is not enough for linking most of Chromium binaries. Fortunately we have gold linker that solves this issue, so just install it there. I'm using the following:

tiago@fisu:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/ld
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jun 24  2013 /usr/bin/ld -> ld.gold
tiago@fisu:~$ ld --version
GNU gold (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu 2.22) 1.11
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

Tiago