My web-application, running on Tomcat 5.5, requires Xerces 2.9.0. My
intention was to put the 2.9.0 jars in the WEB-INF/lib area, as usual.
However, I understand Java 1.5 includes a Xerces implementation within
the JRE libs. Is there a simple set of rules to ensure that I use the
Xerces version I require? I would prefer not to use the 'endorsed'
mechanism, if possible, as I do not want to force other web-apps to use
a version of Xerces for which they were not tested.

I an using Xerces through the public APIs, DOM etc.

Cheers, Des