Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'd like to start with the Taglibs
model.

Depending on the circumstances, they may propose the tablig to the list
first and then open a whiteboard directory, or, if the code is solid,
open a directory first and then start the discussion.

I believe whether a Commons committer chooses to open a directory in the
Sandbox or the main CVS should be a judgment call. Craig felt the
BeanUtil was solid, and started up in the main CVS without the
super-majority mentioned in the charter. But since he is already a
Commons committer, I'm good with that.

My thinking on the life cycle is:

(0) Someone has itch to write a package.

(1) They bounce it off the Commons list to see how other people feel.

(2) If the feelings are good, they start a whiteboard directory in the
main CVS (Commons Committer) (e.g. BeanUtil), or in the sandbox CVS
(other Jakarta Committer) (e.g. Cactus).

(3) When the package Committers are ready, they propose the package to
the list for a subproject vote.

(4) Repeat (3) as a majority vote for subsequent stable releases.

-Ted.