From: Brian White [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> I'm trying to figure out exactly what the commons is
> providing.  Is there
> some kind of collaboration framework that is part of commons?
> Or is it just
> a repository of sorts?

There are a few things we are trying to provide :

1) A repository of commonly used components used for java server
development.  Cactus is the first to release, but we have other things
coming - bean utilities, connection and object pooling, collection classes,
that sort of thing.  The purpose is to provide these elements outside of a
specific framework - so you can use them in your projects easily.

2) A directory of resources within Jakarta - to find code, examples,
documentation, etc.

3) A place for collaboration, sharing and development by Jakarta community
that isn't project specific.  In other words, providing a place for
developers from multiple projects to work together on something to
subsequently share between projects and release to the public as a
standalone component. Database connection pooling is a standard example.

Come join us.

geir