On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

It was in the "Build Scripts Redux" thread on the 11th.

> >   Can we at least agree to do ONE thing the same -- format the output of
> the
> >   "ant dist" target (i.e. the "build" subdirectory) as follows?
> >
> >   jakarta-commons/
> >           component/
> >                   build/
>
> +0
> I prefer lib/ for the generated jars

In general, I agree with that -- however, the whole point of most commons
packages is to create a single JAR file, so the extra directory level
seems unneeded.  I'm ok either way.

> >                           commons-${component}.jar   Binary JAR file
> >                           doc/                       HTML docs (if any)
>
> +1
>
> >                           javadoc/                   Javadocs
>
> +0
> I prefer to have the javadoc dir be a subdir of doc/

If we assume people will actually look inside the "doc" directory at all
:-), I'm fine with either.

> >                           src/                       Copy of source code
>
> What is the source code exactly ? The entire jakarta-commons/<component>
> directory or just some subset ? If a subset can you detail more.

I'm thinking it's a copy of the
"jakarta-commons/<component>" directory.  It gives people who don't grok
CVS a chance to look at the source code and suggest improvements, without
having to download a separate source distribution.

> >   Consistency will become much more important as CJAN emerges.
> >
> [snip]
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent.

Craig