----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Sanders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2001 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: Common "ant dist" Behavior

(commons-beanutils.jar=${commons-beanutils.home}/commons-beanutils.jar)

> > I actually like having the version number on the jar.
> >
> > Can't the build scripts assume a pattern :
> >
> > commons-<component>-<version>.jar
> >
> > and then deal with them that way, wildcarding the <version> part when
> > you don't care?
> >
> > To try to relate a little about why I think this,  I have noticed that
> > people do some strange things, like putting all jars into one directory
> > for easy access/replacement/copying.  So when you are dealing with a
> > problem, and you get told the classpath is :

CLASSPATH=/opt/jars/commons-beanutils.jar:/opt/jars/commons-fubar.jar:/opt/j
ars/woogie.jar...

> > you have no clue whats really going on, requreing another round-trip to
> > dig into the manifest.  It also means when logging in production, and
> > you dump your classpath to log, you can't tell either. (No, I personally
> > never depend upon classpaths if I can avoid it...)
> >
> > Anyway, I don't feel too strongly (have been away from commons for a
> > bit, so just getting back up to speed on stuff) and agree that the
> > proposal would make things neater, but  there is some upside to the
> > version in the filename, and I think if we can arrange for it to be
> > dealt with via patterns and wildcards, things might be better.
> >
> > geir
>
> I would actually like to see the version number in the jar.  When CJAN
> becomes intelligent enough, you will be able to grab any particular
> version, and it would be helpful for the version number to be in the
> filename.

When CJAN becomes intelligent enough, it will be able to grab the version
from the MANIFEST  ... :)

Note: it's very easy to write an Ant task to do that, I could help you if
you wish

> Scott
Vincent