----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Calivera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: Test classification

> Alex
>
> "I sent along some classes, supposed to be mock objects for the served
> 2.2 API. I'm resending them, now with the correct package and license,
> to be inserted in org.apache.commons.cactus.mock. "
>
> I took a very brief glance at your mock objects and they look like they
are
> right on the money for a need of mine to test a servlet in a simple
fashion.
> Making these available to the community seems wise since a lot of people
> doing unit testing on servlets in this fashion usually end up writing
these
> same mock objects (I was about to). I shall let you know how the
experience
> goes once I plug them into a servlet or two.
>
> As for the role of Cactus in general, I'd like to write tests for a
> particular servlet in such a way that I can test using *either* mock
objects
> or in container without recompiling or changing any code in the test
> classes. This allows a first round of pure J2EE testing, then progressive
> rounds testing different containers as necessary. In larger teams with the
> proper scripts, this process allows a daily "container test." Developers
> test against the mock objects on the development machines and a
> comprehensive project test, including containers, occurs over night or
> during lunch.

hehe .... That's exactly what I have in mind currently ... The only
remaining problem is : how to provide that ? I have began thinking on it but
have not found a perfect solution so far ... I'm more than willing to accept
anyone's help on that ! I have also played with the servlet mock objects
implementation from the Sourceforge mockobjects project but have not
committed it to CVS yet as I had not finished my investigations.

Both mock objects and Cactus have pros and cons. Merging the two would get
all the pros .... Last remaining question : is it possible without incurring
the cost of writing 2 test classes for each class to test ?

> Tom
Thanks
Vincent.