Is it reasonable to create a Resources abstraction as you suggest, and
still keep MessageResources as a specialized implementation of it (after
refactoring)?  In other words, Resources would only have getData(), but
MessageResources would extend Resources and add the getMessage() methods.

Besides supporting backwards compatibility for Struts users :-), the
formatting stuff performed by MessageResources is pretty useful in its own
right.

Craig