This morning I checked into the sandbox a small set of tools that have
been contributed by Velocity users.  Our intent is to start a webapp
tool component - tools and utilities that are useful in templates (and
JSPs).

The idea to start is to bring together the small kinds of tools that we
use in templating in a neutral place.  We hope to bring in tools from
other templating engines, like WebMacro, as well as bean-ish (and
non-bean-ish) contributions from Struts for JSP use, and Turbine.  I
don't think we want to do tablibs, as they are too specific to one
templating system, and I believe our interest is to do our very best to
rid Velocity-specificity from the tools we provide ( I can't speak for
others.)   Further, there already is a tablibs project here at Jakarta.

There will probably be cases where things are specific - in that case,
we might just as well make separate *.jsp, *.velocity, *.webmacro parts
of the 'rupert' package.  One might argue we just maintain them locally
(for example, Vel stuff at the Velocity site), but I am hoping that
bringing them together and shining light on what we all are doing helps
all.

A few things :

1) There will clearly be overlap between what is already happening in
some parts of Commons (like the MessageResource / Resource stuff).  The
hope is that if there is a chance to combine into more sensical
components we can do  that.

2) The name 'Rupert' is just a placeholder for a real name - we didn't
want to hold things up while dickering. (And I couldn't resist the
chance to finally get to use 'rupert'.)

I will have a list of people we would like to add committer access for
to work in the sandbox in a little while.

I propose that for now, we start all message subjects with [Rupert].

geir
--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting