Hi,

I am trying to create a build system using JJAR and Ant that will allow the
use of a central repository of JARs on a local system so that JARs don't
have to be stored in CVS but the build process for a developer will be just
as easy.

I was originally using a single directory with a series of JARs contained
within, than Vincent suggested using a directory structure.

But I think it boils down to a project specifying a dependency on a
particular version of a JAR. Ideally it would be good if the latest version
would work but this is not going to be the case in practice.

Right now I have something like the following:

build.properties
----------------
velocity.jar = ${lib.repo}/velocity-1.2.jar

build.xml
---------
<path id="classpath">
  <pathelement location="${velocity.jar}"/>
</path>

And if we used a directory structure we might have something like
the following

build.properties
----------------
velocity.jar = ${lib.repo}/velocity/1.2/velocity.jar

I think at some point the project has to state a dependency on a particular
version so I was wondering what people thought?

I think using JJAR and Ant a build system could be constructured so that all
java projects could use it to make building very easy while not having to
store JARs in multiple places. With the definition of ${lib.repo} in your
~/build.properties file the whole thing could work. I have been trying to
get this to work with the turbine projects so there is a working example and
geir has been help me so hopefully there will be something to show shortly.

I thought I would solicit opinions and see if anyone else would actually use
this system if made.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl