"Waldhoff, Rodney" wrote:

> > Please do not depricate setDebug/getDebug, slide
> > WebDAV client depends on it.
>
> Sorry, I thought Remy had assured us that the logging in httpclient
> wasn't being used.
>
> > I have code ready to make setDebug functional again...
> > As soon as I get commit access I'll commit it
>
> Or submit a patch.  It'd be nice to at least pretend jakarta-commons
> operates like any other jakarta sub-project, as it says in the
> charter.  (No offense, but I don't know you from Adam. I can't just +1
> you as a committer sight unseen.  I'm sure you're patch is great, so
> submit it as such, and then nominate yourself as a committer.)
>
> > and then the old behaviour will be restored.
>
> The precise "old behavior" might be a little awkward to get back,
> although I just added support for setting Log "levels" on the fly.
> You'll still need to do it per "Log" though, not per class as the
> previous httpclient logging had it.  I suppose we could simply have
> the setDebug() value set the level for all the logs associated with
> that class.

You have implemented the same as I did yesterday with the
set/getLoglevel functions
(I copied them from the log4j wrapper from slide server project)
I wanted to commit them but you were first.

The only thing that still is different is the setDebug function in
HttpClient
    public void setDebug(int debug) {
        log.setLevel(debug);
        wireLog.setLevel(debug);
    }
I have also made some cosmetic changes (trimming header string to avoid
\r\n) but they are not important.

The other changes to the slide client are already committed (using
isDebugEnabled() and using Log.DEBUG constants)
You used different numbers but we used the same names for the log
constants so that was easy :-)

The functionality that I want to preserve in the client is that you can
change the loglevel at runtime.
If you have another way of doing that without the setDebug methods
please say so
I also don't like those setDebug functions.

maybe expose the _logs hashtable in some way
log4j has done the same with the Hierarchy class
Enumeration e = Hierarchy.getDefaultHierarchy().getCurrentCategories();

or just implement a global setlevel on LogSource

Dirk