You should be able to do matching rules like "*/project" and
"*/project/a" to match these patterns no matter how deeply nested they
are.  If not, there's a hot-off-the-presses feature (checked in a couple
of days ago) that lets you define your own matching policy.

I confess to some curiousity about the multi-level nature of this -- where
is the GUMP file layout documented so I can take a look?

Craig