> > > Step 2 : Create a 1.x branch so that bug corrections (but no new
> features)
> > > can continue to be made for 1.x versions.
> >
> > +1.
>
> I made a mistake when casting my vote there, if the "no new features" is
> interpreted strictly, in which case I would vote -1.

I agree with this sentiment.  The intent of the 1.x branch is to provide API
stability for those already using httpclient.  Adjusting functionality to be
more spec compliant is not a new feature, so should be completly allowed
within the 1.x branch.  I am about to give up on this issue.  We can help
both sides out.  I too vote -1 if this is the case.