Got it. The test.rss option exposed

test.rss:
     [echo] Running RSSDigester tests ...
     [java] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/xml/sax/HandlerBase

Since I finally traced back to a conflict between my jaxp1.1 home
directory and the same files in the ant/dist/lib folder. I set my
jaxp.home to use the ant copies, and now it's working.

(Gotta love them classloaders ...)

I put jaxp.jar and crimson.jar in my app's WEB-INF/lib, but it still
returns null when it tries to parse the file.

        response.setContentType("text/plain");
        PrintWriter writer = response.getWriter();
        try {
          RSSDigester digester = new RSSDigester();
          digester.setDebug(999);
          Channel channel = (Channel)
              digester.parse("/rss-example.xml");
          if (channel!=null) channel.render(writer);
          else writer.print("No data!");
        }
        catch (Throwable t) {
            writer.print(t.toString());
        }

It does see the file, since if I use a non-existant name, it chokes.