> i would have thought that an error message of NO RECIPIENT

You have to configure the bounce message if you want it.  There is no bounce
by default.  I don't know why not, but I suspect because of anti-spam
concerns the default configuration is more oriented to avoid spam than what
I consider to be correct behavior (reliable delivery/notification).

HOWEVER, if the SMTP handler could not post a NEW message into the spool, it
should provide an immediate error notice to the e-mail client, so no mail
should be lost.

In any event, what did appear in your logs?  For which repositories are you
using MSSQL?

> unfortunately, i have had the reverse experience with MySQL

When was that?  For a long time, Windows was not a primary focus of the
MySQL developers, but it is now an equal platform.

        --- Noel