Sure it can be done, although this could be done everywhere, simply changing in
AbstractRedirect.getSpecialAddress:

        if(addressString.compareTo("unaltered") == 0) {
            specialAddress = SpecialAddress.UNALTERED;
        }

        if(addressString.compareTo("unaltered") == 0) {
            specialAddress = null;
        }

But at this point it would break in Redirect.getTo(Mail) the fact that if <to> is not
coded, means set it as the <recipient> value (this was the old behaviour that we must
maintain for compatibility), while <to>unaltered</to> means leave it as it was before,
even if we set <recipients> to something else.

I think that we should stress even more in the docs the adopted convention that not
coding anything means null that means *no change*.

Vincenzo