> > > As you already said, Redirect suffers from the need of backward
> compatibility,
> > > that we must guarantee. We could in the future create a new
> mailet, with
> > > different name (which name BTW?) following more consistently the
> conventions.
>
> > This mailet has become a veritable swiss-army knife of confusion. :)
>
> Always was.  I propose that for undocumented defaults, that we change them
> to be consistent (as discussed in this thread), and document the changes.
> Doing:
>
>    <mailet match="All" class="Redirect"/>
>
> should effectively do nothing because you haven't told it what to change.

We can't do that. It would break most config.xml files around.
Anyhow, I'm documenting everything right now.

I suggest to complete what I'm doing getting a totally back compatible and documented
Redirect, and later on we can have a new one, called "TheThing" (I'm joking :-),
simply no name comes to my mind) that behaves as Noel says, and Redirect extends it
just changing the defaults to keep the compatibility.

> > It might benefit by having some mailets that extend this with options
> > hardset and a more understandable name.
>
> Forward, for example.  :-)  By default, Forward requires nothing
> more than a
> recipient list, and should normally do nothing but change it.  The Notify
> and Bounce mailets are also pretty clean.
>
> The one parameter whose default isn't related to "change/don't change" is
> <passthrough>.  AbstractRedirect defaults it to false.  AbstractNotify
> changes that so that Notify/Bounce mailets leave the original
> message in the
> spool by default.  That behavior seems fine, so long as it is documented.

Doing that too.

Vincenzo