> Kevin,
>
> As the old joke says, "if you want to get _there_ I wouldn't go from here
sir"

Well, whereever I go, there I'll be... :->

> I want to be able to write some emails using something like:
>             javax.mail.Session session =
> javax.mail.Session.getInstance( props, null );
>             Message msg = new MimeMessage( session );
>             transport.send( msg );
>
> Using James you wouldn't necessarily need to use JavaMail for sending
(unless there are other pressures), just
> MimeMessage to create messages, check out jakarta-commons-sandbox-net,
(.jar included in James/lib in current cvs)
> and jakarta-james/tests/EndToEnd.java (also only in cvs)
>
> This shows how an app can deliver mail to James for further processing,
You can then write Mailets to process the
> mail make distribution lists, logging whatever.
>
> Or you could write a mailet, or a new service, which acts as a gateway
between your app and James, accepting mail and > inserting it into James
spool (see fetchpop for example of how to wite a service to spool new
messages).

What I'm doing now is using a Notes server (which I have no admin access
to) for smtp in production and I'm trying use James for dev and QA. This
way I have full admin access and can set up whatever accounts, etc, I want
for testing and development. Whatever I code I write now needs to work with
the Notes box when I move the code to production.

Later I'll be doing some more complex stuff that I think may warrant using
James as more of a platform for building apps on.

These contraints are why I need 'to go from here' for now. Do any of the
alternatives you suggest (i.e., MimeMessage) fit in this environment?

> > 3. Messages to the 'cc' address dissapear. (I'm using file system
>
> This issue may be because message ID's are being duplicated, but thats
just a hunch, its not very clear where your
> app ends and where your use of James begins.

I'm just connecting to James using smtp as I will connect to the Notes
server later -

Thanks -

Kevin