> What I'm trying to do now is install James on my PC and develop a test bed
> for our apps that I'll move onto a Solaris box when it's ready.
> Specifically, I'm developing some JUnit tests for existing e-mail apps I
> already have.

I invite you to check the recent archives for the james-dev mailing list,
and subscribe.  One of the current topics is developing a test suite.

> 1. I don't seem to get 'callbacks' on the TransportListener
>    interface methods. Not sure why

That isn't in James, right?  This is a JavaMail question?

> 2. Checking for new messages without opening the folder doesn't work.

How are you checking for messages, and in what context (inside James or from
another app)?  James supports POP3 (IMAP is under construction) for mail
retrieval.

> What's the best way to determine if a new message is available for a user
without
> actually having to attempt to read a message

An MUA does this via features of the POP3 and IMAP protocols.

> Messages to the 'cc' address dissapear.
> If I send 10 messages, the 'to' would have ten messages,
> but the 'cc' would only have the 10th.

I just tested this by sending to two accounts on my James server, 4 e-mails
with a TO and a CC.  Each account received all 4 e-mails.  So I cannot
reproduce this error.  Not saying that it doesn't exist, but I cannot
reproduce it.  I use database storage.  Perhaps Peter or one of the other
folks who use the file system can see check it on their system.

> How long should it take for the messages to be procssed and
> available for reading?

I haven't timed it, and there is performance work being done now.  Plus, it
depends upon the complexity of your pipeline.

        --- Noel