> The latest stable version of James, as stated (20022106),
> does not notify the sender at all when the db is down and
> James cannot process the mail.

Does 20022106 translate as June 21, 2002?  What stable release build are you
talking about?  James 2.0a3?  If so, I can believe it.  I fixed quite a few
errors in the handling of exceptions.

To be sure, I just re-ran a test where I stopped the database during a
postal test.  Postal immediately started receiving 451 errors:

  Server error:451 Error processing message:
                   Exception spooling message:
                   Exception caught while storing mail
                   Container: java.sql.SQLException:
                   Communication link failure:
                   java.net.SocketException;

The 25NOV2002 code in the Milestone directory should be what gets released.
The only remaining work items for the official release of James v2.1 are
related to cleaning up the documentation, and a formal release vote.

        --- Noel