Noel -

~If you can demonstrate that James v2.1 provides a 250 return
~code to the
~sender when using a JDBC spool and a failed database (and where the JDBC
~driver is providing failure notification), then we have a
~serious defect to fix.

I am sorry - I cannot do that.
I am under some restrictions as to which version of James I am sanctioned to
run. I am aware of the tremendous amount of work has been done in getting to 2.1

Unfortunately I cannot 'officially' install and run James 2.1 until it has been
'officially released' by the James Group. Until then I am running 20a3 and have
found issues that I believed have not been addressed - therefore my arrogance
and chest pounding about the apparently faulty operation of a severed db
connection.

it's been raised and the issues - if any - that need addressing are being
attended to.

alan