How would I check that? ( by connecting to port 25 of another domain? )
I can connect to port 25 of my service provider... which I would expect, as they
provide SMTP service.

Alternately, how can I check if it is an issue with the way I set up the DNS in the
config file
(aside from it just not working?)

Is there a FAQ that answers these questions?

As always, thanks for your time.